Sunday, August 8, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green & David Levithan

My interest was piqued when I heard that Will Grayson, Will Grayson was the first book with gay protagonists to make the New York Times bestsellers list for children.  The novel is a collaboration by two award-winning authors, John Green (Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines) and David Levithan (Boy Meets Boy, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist).  They write alternating chapters from the perspective of two high schoolers named Will Grayson. 

Both Will Graysons are complex and believable though not always likable, which is how I prefer my teen characters.  Since most teens are at least a little self-centred and/or oblivious, I respect authors who address this quality.  The Graysons are both hindered by social fears, but are dragged toward acceptance through their friendship with Tiny Cooper, a very large, very proudly gay, football player who writes and stars in a musical about his own life.  Tiny Cooper is one of the best characters I've read in a long time.  He completely steals the show and is on his way to becoming a beloved and iconic character. 

I loved this book, and relished the ride, up until the cheesy-hollywood-ending made me roll my eyes.  I suppose I can forgive that.

No comments:

Post a Comment