Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater

One of the big books of the moment.  Shiver has been on every (teen) award list I've seen lately.  It's a poetic and evocative take on the urban fantasy/supernatural romance genre.  

I find myself without a strong opinion on this one, perhaps because it is presented very well despite being too romantic for my personal tastes.  I appreciate the understated sorrow simmering beneath the surface of the love story.  Sam is defined by language and loss (and the loss of language).  He's a beautiful character, displaying integrity and compassion without seeming too perfect.  Grace is shallow in comparison but has lived a much more sheltered life.  She is independent and self-assured, with convincingly realistic teenaged gripes.  There are a few minor characters who I expected more of in this book.  Their stories felt unfinished so  I'm wondering if they have a role in the sequel.

I like Stiefvater's re-imagining of werewolf mythology.  Her wolves are rendered powerless over their lives; quite apt in a novel for teens.  They are just as passionate and wild, but more tragically sympathetic than the traditional werewolf is.  The book will appeal to Twilight fans as well as those with more cultivated tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment