Friday, August 20, 2010

Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love, by Chris Roberson & Shawn McManus

My impatience for the next volume of Fables to be published was somewhat tempered by the release of Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love.  This single-volume spin-off is a Fables take on the spy genre, complete with fancy gadgets, fancier parties, and elaborate plots.  With more humour than romance (but a little of that too), Cinderella dons the public face of a shoe-store proprieter and frequent holidayer while privately protecting the interests of Fabletown around the globe.

Cinderella is a breath of fresh air after the Jack spin-off which always leaves me gritting my teeth over just how much I dislike the title character.  Cindy is smart, likeable, and offers a refreshingly new perspective on the Fables universe.  I still prefer the regular series, whether due to Bill Willingham's writing or the presence of my favourite characters, but this was a pleasant read.  And now it's back to the waiting game.  Only three and a half months until the next Fables.

No comments:

Post a Comment