Friday, August 20, 2010

How to Train Your Dragon, by Cressida Cowell

I hesitate too long before reading popular children's lit, fearing that I'll find it shallow or bland.  I know I'm a critical reader, but I really want to like books.  I just need them to be well written, believable (for whatever world they're placed in), and respectful enough of the reader not to leave gaping plot holes.  It's maddening how often a book fails to meet those criteria.

I was relieved and delighted by how much fun I had reading How to Train Your Dragon. The absurd humour, simple pen and ink illustrations, ridiculous adults, and underdog nature of the protagonist are joyfully reminiscent of Roald Dahl.  I was willingly charmed into forgetting that Hiccup's thoughtfulness and creativity were always going to save the day where his fellow vikings' dumb brute strength could not.  Hiccup's achievements are well won and the story is a  playful well-paced romp. 

My only question: Where are all the girls and women?

No comments:

Post a Comment