Friday, February 5, 2010

Fire (by Kristin Cashore)

I've started slacking on keeping these notes.  I've read five books since I've last posted, so the next reviews may be a little brief as I attempt to catch up.

Fire is the second novel by Kristin Cashore.  It's a companion novel to Graceling, but can be read perfectly well on its own. Like Graceling, Fire follows a strong female protagonist, born with unusual but not unheard of skills.  The eponymous Fire is able to entrance people and control their thoughts or actions.   She is reluctant to use these skills, after witnessing the grave results of her father's abuse of the power, but there are, of course, complications that cause her to question her decision.

This story considers personal ethics, romance, and the idea of being hated for what one was born rather than who one is.  There is a lot of personal growth and strength of mind that teen (and non-teen) readers will embrace.  The writing is strong, and the premise is fairly sound.  Several times I found myself poking holes in the story only to find my issues addressed soon after.  I always appreciate it when an author considers the intelligence of her readers and makes the effort to build a sound premise for our imaginations to play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment