Friday, February 5, 2010

Peter & Max (by Bill Willingham)

Peter & Max is the first grown-up novel I've read (or rather, finished)* in over a year.  It's written by my current favourite graphic novel author, Bill Willingham, and occurs in the world of his Fables comics.

The story can be read by the uninitiated and comes across quite well as a novel.  It begins with a brief historical lesson that brings readers up to date with the premise, then hops between the protagonists formative years and the present crisis those events set in motion.  As a reader of Willingham's comics, I found it fascinating that the tone, plot, pacing and dialogue all felt so very familiar.  I'd be curious to hear how non-Fables readers found the book.  I felt that the story itself wasn't as compelling as some of Willingham's previous plotlines, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless.  

* I started reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist after watching the fantastic Swedish movie, but found that my mind wasn't in a dark enough place to follow through with it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment