Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jack of Fables: The Big Book of War / Fables: The Great Fables Crossover

Jack  is a spin-off from the Fables comics, this series features an extreme narcissist who has no comprehension of hubris. Jack is one of my least favourite Fables characters, and the storyline isn't as compelling as the original comic, but it's entertainingly absurd, pleasantly light, and often quite funny.  The Big Book of War offers another excellent opportunity for Jack to show off his incompetent leadership and lack of morals.

Fables volume 13, The Great Fables Crossover, detours away from the current plotline with the new and mostly unknown antagonist, Mr. Dark.  Instead, the action begins where Jack: The Big Book of War leaves off, wrapped up in a meta-literary battle between embodiments of story, and personifications of literary elements. This volume involves a few of the strongest Fables protagonists, but still features Jack a little too much for my liking.  While there's a fair amount of Deus Ex Machina used to wrap up this arc, it's used purposefully tongue-in-cheek.  I'm happy to see the end of the meta-literary/where-did-we-come-from storyline, although there are a few questions I still would have liked answered.  Perhaps when my library finally gets volume 5 of Jack on the shelves I'll find a few pertinent details I've been looking for.

I'm looking forward to a resumption of regular programming in the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment