Sunday, January 3, 2010

Twisted, by Laurie Halse Anderson

I'm working my way through this year's nominees for a couple teen readers' choice awards.  Contemporary high school trauma isn't my usual kind of read.  This was a good book, but I'm not inclined to seek out others like it.

Twisted tells the story of Tyler, a 17 year old who was overlooked as a geek before he vandalized the school for recognition, and built up some muscles over the summer. Now he's getting some attention from his crush and beginning to gain confidence, but soon enough life crashes down harder than ever.  This book considers bullying, drinking, violence, family dysfunction, self-hatred and suicidal thoughts.  Twisted may be good choice for high schoolers who want to see their own world reflected, but it's not for everyone.  Despite the positive note at the conclusion, Tyler's unhappiness weighed on me more heavily than I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment