Sunday, June 27, 2010

Half-Minute Horrors

An anthology of 70+ very short scary stories and comics by a who's who of children's, teen, and adult authors including Neil Gaiman, Lemony Snicket, Holly Black, Margaret Atwood, Kenneth Oppel, etc.  I was hoping to find a story or two that I might want to read at the beginning of a Summer Reading Club program this year, but after finding myself so easily creeped out, I decided not to spring these on anyone without their prior consent. 

Stories range from three lines to three pages long, and as might be expected, it takes some skill to create a sense of place, tension, and conclusion in that space.  Some are markedly stronger than others, and not always by authors that one would expect to languish or excel.  Certain common tropes become repetitive, so I would not recommend reading the book in a single sitting.  A perfect book for summer campfires or Hallowe'en frights.

No comments:

Post a Comment