Sunday, May 2, 2010

Scott Pilgrim, by Bryan Lee O'Malley

I've been hearing raves about Scott Pilgrim for years, and after reading the first five volumes (the final volume comes out in July) I can see some of the appeal.  It's funny, and filled with stylized, over-the-top fight scenes that read like a teen daydream. 

Scott is a lazy slacker everyman who plays bass, shares a one-room apartment with his gay buddy, and can't hold down a job.  He is not a terribly sharp fellow, but manages to drift through life pretty comfortably.  Scott's persistence and nice-guy charm win him the attentions of the cute, mysterious Ramona, but he'll need to prove himself by defeating each of her seven evil exes if he wants to keep dating her.  While Scott is generally unskilled and oblivious, he shows some incongruous fighting talent and wits in battle.

My personal impression of the series is mixed.  I hold a grudge against Scott for his callous treatment of the highschool girl he's dating when he meets Ramona, and his oblivious slackerness irritates me.  However, the comic is a ridiculous romp through early adulthood and it works because it doesn't take itself too seriously.  I enjoyed the pop-culture references, descriptions of Toronto neighbourhoods, and the unselfconscious silliness.

I'm surprised there's no waitlist on these comics at my library yet, but they'll get very popular very fast when the film version hits the theatres in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment