Monday, October 11, 2010

Creature and Bird by Andrew Zuckerman

These stunning collections of studio photography feature a wide range of animal subjects brought into sharp focus against a seamless white background.

A selection of photos from Creature were later featured in the alphabet book Creature ABC.  While the variety in Creature is greater, this is one brick of a book, and I appreciate the portability and affordability of the abbreviated children's version.  It is exciting without being overwhelming, as Creature is in danger of being.
Bird brings every feather into focus and every talon into sharp view.  Infinitely varied, the birds in this book are in turn alienating, inviting, ethereal and predatory.  Having seen some of the photos from Creature before, I found Bird to be more of a revelation.  I had forgotten or had not known how strange some birds can be, or the odd bald spots and patterns of feathers on species that I had thought I knew.

My favourite images capture the wide round eyes and marionette posture of the Secretary Bird, which bring nothing to mind so much as a fantastically spindly muppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment