Saturday, July 3, 2010

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters, by Lenore Look

My love for Alvin Ho continues.  Reading the first novel was a revelation.   Last month I presented it at a booktalking workshop with other childrens' librarians, and post-talk feedback suggests that my joy was emanating from me in waves.  I'm pleased that I've succeeded in spreading the word to a few locally-influential folks.  I want to see these books in many little hands.

This second outing is like easing into a warm bath.  I know what to expect, but still leave the book warm, happy, and refreshed.  Alvin is still afraid to speak in school, but less afraid of girls (or at least his friend Flea), still cries regularly (and feels better afterward), still hilariously afraid of just about everything (school, heights, night, camping, bears, aliens, etc), and still makes a few humorous misinterpretations with his siblings (like the nature of credit cards).  Alvin's tough little sister Anibelly features prominently in this book, to great effect.  I wouldn't be surprised if she earns herself a spinoff series in a couple years.

There are a few stylistic differences between Alvin's banter in this book and the first novel.  I found his repeated phrases charming the first time around, and I miss them here.  However, I imagine they could have grown old quickly and Lenore Look may be attempting to avoid that.

I expect I'll talk these books up a fair amount as Summer Reading Club progresses, and will be looking forward to the release of the third episode in September

No comments:

Post a Comment